Monday, November 29, 2010

First Day of Buck (or Doe)

The not so lucky buck and doe. Real men wear blood on their shirt.
This is a northwest PA holiday. The kids have no school. One fella that was scheduled to work today had to tell his boss he'd be late. How late? Well that depends. But most likely he could get there by late afternoon, right about dark thirty.

I was way too tired to get up with Tom at 4:30a.m. (owing to still being awake, tossing and turning at 2a.m. -- both of us.) But I'll tell you what, by 6:00 breakfast smelled wonderful -- bacon and eggs, pancakes, cheesy potatoes, and coffee. The coffee aroma nearly put me over the side of the bed and on my feet. But no, I resisted. I enjoyed warmed overs at 8:00, quick made some soup and sloppy joe, and went to work for a couple of hours. (On Mondays I update the church website -- and I hate to let that go, since I don't work on Tuesday. So you see, I actually write two blogs a week. I'd like to post on this one more often, something I only occasionally accomplish. I knew you'd want to know all that.)

I got home in time to put lunch on the table for the grateful deer-slayers (2 of them) and the guys who came up empty handed (5 of them). Eat, drink, tell stories, call neighbors, friends, family, then back out to push the loop. That means most of the hunters go get in their places and a couple of them walk around the field called the flats, all the way to the creek and then loop back. Out of today's push one more from our hunting party got a buck. That makes 3, and it appears the hunters are done for the day. What?... it's not even dark yet. So the lucky bucks get to live another day.

1 comment:

Betsy Henning said...

My apology for the gruesome photo. I'm not glib about life snuffed out, but I understand the need for population control. And, it helps that the hunters here are grateful for the Lord's provision.