Thursday, February 3, 2011

Vitamin D, Frostbite? Vitamin D, Frostbite?

Ow, ow, ow, my fingers hurt.I was out catching a little vitamin D. All you need is to bare your forearms, hands and face on a sunny day (no matter how cold?) for 15 minutes and the exposed skin will absorb a day's worth of vitamin D. I did that. Walked to the mailbox and back 3 or 4 times, frontwards down, backwards up so my face would keep facing Mr. Sunshine. I'm not sure that was 15 minutes worth so I decided to sit on the front porch and continue my sunbath. Chickadees and nuthatches, a tufted titmouse and a ladder back woodpecker joined me. They weren't the least bit intimidated by my presence near their feeder. I was talking to them and still they didn't flutter away... That was just too good, I had to get a camera. Look at this. I took off my slipper so the camera could see how close a little chickadee was to my foot -- when his buddy landed right on my foot. Another sat on my lap and hopped down my leg. Another landed on my head. I swear I'm not making this up. I couldn't capture those shots with my digital camera, my feathered friends aren't that tame -- but if I had a photographer I'll betcha it could have been done.








This is the big attraction -- a snowman birdfeeder filled with shelled sunflower seeds, a Christmas gift from Tom's sister.
The little birdies are feeling the love and showing their gratitude, which blessed me no end! Blessed me so much I didn't notice that my fingers were freezing off. I hope I got the vitamin D I was after to make up for the painful thawing out process. Ow, ow, ow.

No comments: