Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Liebster Award -- I Accept!

Well look at that. An award. I'm honored... Really honored.
 
It's taken me months to decide to accept this award and act on it. Months of self-doubting and insecurity and a bit of embarrassment before I realized it would be a shame to miss an opportunity like this. So, here I am, this is me...claiming my award.
 
First, I want to tell you that my friend, Kristine Riddle sent this honor my way. She blogs at Bright Tuesday, Scribbles from the Back of My Napkin. Kristine blogs faithfully with tongue-in-cheek humor, a touch of sarcasm, and more than a bit of poignancy. Her family friendly posts include dear and clever things she has to say about her husband, children, and family pets. And she blogs about nature, deep thoughts, and/or crafty stuff. She crochets, and blogs about that as well.
 
And with no further ado here's how the Liebster Award works -- at least I think this is how it works. You see it's a bit like the telephone game. Who knows how much damage has been done in the passing on of information, filtered through incredibly creative writers. We abhor copying and pasting, don't we? So we rewrite. And on the rewrite, we're remaking it.
 
Directions: Introduce the award and link to the blogger who nominated you. Answer 10 questions provided by that blogger. Choose 5 blogs -- all of which have less than 1,000 followers -- and nominate them for a Liebster Award. Provide them 10 questions to answer, and that's it! (If you're confused Google the award and you'll find several variations of rules and requirements. Pick the one you like best and go for it.)
 
Here are the questions put to me and my answers:
 1. What made you decide to take up blogging? In 2005 my son was being shipped to Iraq. He started a blog and helped me get started on one too. It was a wonderful way to offer him bits of home while he was so very far away.
2. What does your family think about you being a blogger? Some of my kids read my blog and appreciate the afore mentioned bits of home. My husband is a faithful reader...and he's an above average photographer. His photos serve as grist for the idea mill as well as illustrations for some posts. My parents are my biggest fans. Mom recently passed away, but Dad still checks my blog.
 
3. At what time of day do you do your most productive writing/blogging? Whenever I sit myself down to the computer, as long as I'm not checking Facebook and email, I'm productive. Time of day? Yeah, that varies.

4. What is your favorite form of social media and why? Facebook, is my favorite because it’s quick and easy and always there. Facebook is my least favorite for all the same reasons, emphasis on always there, i.e. always distracting me, always demanding my attention, always reminding me I have absolutely no self-control.
5. What is your most vivid childhood memory? I remember holding my baby brother, when I was 10 years old. He was the last of 7 and I was #2 in the line-up. I had just asked my mother how many more babies we were going to have. She said she hoped Robbie would be the last one. Seven is enough she said. I lay on the couch and held my 6 month old brother up in the air, facing me. I studied his face and his chubby little arms and legs. I drank him in, memorized him just like he was on that day. I was truly heartbroken that there might not be another baby. I can still call that memory up like it was yesterday.

6. What is your favorite book? To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
7. What was your favorite subject in high school? Gym. I was athletic. I was good at physical education. I couldn’t write the best essay, couldn’t punctuate, conjugate, or spell with the best of them. But I could turn a cartwheel, jump a hurdle, beat 'most any girl my age in a foot race.
8. Where would you like to go on holiday, assuming no money restraints? Hawaii or Australia…But wait, I’m a people person, and I don’t know anyone in either of those places. So I’ll choose Paris, because my sister lives there and I’ve been once. I know how to do Paris.
9. Which superpower do you wish you had and why? I would like to have the superpower to speed read and remember everything I read. Or no, not that, I would like to have a superpower that would allow me to always say the best, nicest, right thing all the time. No, this -- I’m a writer so I want a superpower that will make me write everything perfectly, kindly, creatively, and humorously when appropriate. 
10. What would you like to share about yourself that your readers might not know? I wish I had more chutzpah.  


And now, the bloggers I have chosen for the Liebster Award! For a couple of my nominees I hope this will be an inspiration to blog more often because YOU have much to offer, and the world will be a better place for hearing from you. One of my nominees has just begun blogging. I see incredible potential in what she has to offer, her honesty, her openness, her wit, her pick-yourself-up-dust-yourself-off-and-help-others attitude will not only serve her well, but untold others too.
 
So gals, should you accept this award and shamelessly proudly help yourself to a little self-promotion, let me be the first to congratulate you.
 
RuthAnn at Labyrinth Living http://labyrinthliving.wordpress.com/
 
Ellen Campbell at Nana Knits and Jams http://nanaknitsandjams.blogspot.com/
 
Missa Borah at A Gay Christian... from her intro page: Yes, you heard that right. I'm a huge, walking oxymoron. But I've learned to be okay with that. I hope after reading my blog you'll see why and learn to be okay with it too. http://www.missaborah.com/
 
Lisa Vella at Getting it Write for You http://www.lisavella.blogspot.com/
 
Yvonne Thayer at Midpoint Musings http://yvonne-midpointmusings.blogspot.com/
 
My 10 Questions to you:
1. Why did you start blogging?
2. In one sentence, who in the world are you?
3. Who is your most admired hero/heroine? (Superheroes count.)
4. Name four of your favorite things.
5. What are you passionate about?
6. What do you do for fun?
7. What animal best describes you and your personality? Explain.
8. What is your best childhood memory?
9. Name a chore you put off or avoid with all your might.
10. What could possibly help you change your attitude toward that chore?

No comments: