Sunday, April 1, 2012

April Fool's Day

Today...a long humorous, poignant blog post.  April Fool!

But I will share one of our favorite April fool tricks as kids. Every morning, when we were all much younger, my dad sweetened his coffee with a spoonful of sugar. Every March 31st, for a few years in a row, before going to bed one of us kids would empty the sugar bowl and fill it with salt. Then on April 1st my dad would stir a spoonful of salt into his coffee, take a sip, sputter, gag, and choke out, "I knew that sugar wasn't dissolving right. You darn kids got me again." That was followed by laughing (us) and yelling (him). The aftermath involved threats and accusations (not one of us seven would own up to it), and reminders about the waste of a cup of coffee. My dad has a lot of Scottish blood flowing through his veins. The joke was funny, but the waste of it was almost more than he could bear. Somewhere along the line he quit putting sugar in his coffee and the April Fool joke was no more. I'll bet it was in the 1970's when the price of sugar went sky high. I know that's when I quit adding sugar to my coffee. And the Scottish blood thing? That's why. This apple didn't fall far.

Tom and I didn't play any jokes on each other today...yet. The day's not over though.

We celebrated Palm Sunday in church today. The worship time was uplifting and the fellowship sweet. I had to miss the message though, and instead delivered a message about Palm Sunday to children ages 4-8. I opened our Junior Church time with a question. "Who knows what today is?" I asked the youngsters. And that's when I learned -- today is April Fool's day.  No joke.
Palms

The crowds that went ahead of him and those that followed shouted,
“Hosanna to the Son of David!”
“Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!”
“Hosanna in the highest heaven!” 
 Matt. 21:9

No comments: