Saturday, November 5, 2011

My Favorite Day of the Year

Tonight we turn the clocks back one hour. Fall behind. And that means that tomorrow morning when I normally get up around 7 or 7:30 it'll only be 6 or 6:30. Love it! I love to have slow relaxed mornings. I hope you all will enjoy your extra hour as much as I will.

November, besides being NaNo month, is my firstborn son's birthday. I'm remembering how much I enjoyed having a baby in the fall. I'd bundle him all up in the sweetest fleece snowsuit and take him for walks when it wasn't too cold. We stayed inside a lot. When spring arrived he was old enough to sit in a stroller and we'd walk the sidewalks of downtown State College. Then we moved to New Wilmington -- a beautiful little college town. And again we walked the streets, visited the community pool almost daily, and played at the playground. It's like that was a different lifetime and we were different people. Which I guess it was and we were. Thank goodness. You wouldn't want to stay the same forever now would you? Life is about growing, and moving, and learning, and getting better. I often think these days of one of my dad's favorite sayings, too soon old, too late smart. That captures it for most of us.

November is also Thanksgiving month. And here's hoping we're smart enough, at whatever age we happen to be, to give thanks. Many of my facebook friends are posting something everyday that they are thankful for. I'm too shy to jump in and do that for fear the things I'm grateful for won't measure up on someone's scale or that I won't post them in the proper level of priority. You know, God, family, church, laptop...or maybe the pets should come before the lappy. I don't know, I'm not all that crazy about the pets sometimes. They shed. I love their company, one cat and one dog, but they shed. I like petting or cuddling, don't mind feeding them, but they shed. Hairless cats are ugly but maybe our next pup could be some non-shedding variety. But I've already decided there won't be a next pup, because even if the shedding gets on your nerves, the dying breaks your heart. And that's what they do, eventually.

I'm thankful for books, I love a good book. I like movies, TV (sometimes), a clean house, a freshly mowed yard, a good church service, kids,  -- I'm delighted by little kids, and get a kick out of big ones. And it's a good thing I like kids because I absolutely love babies, I'm so thankful for little babies, but in no time they turn into kids.

I'm thankful for a warm house, good food, comfy clothes, a husband who loves me, and unseasonably warm weather in November. Tomorrow is the 6th and it's going to be 60 degrees and sunny. Gotta be thankful for that. And an extra hour of daylight to boot. Wait, that's not right. An extra hour in the morning, but evening is going to come an hour sooner. Dang. Not really thankful for that. Well I'll have to start looking forward to my husband's favorite day of the year, Dec. 22nd -- the day after the shortest day of the year. It's all uphill from there. The days start getting longer. The sun gets up sooner and goes down later. I can't wait for Dec. 22nd. The turning point. It'll be here before we know it. I'm thankful for that!

But see, look at that -- the order is probably all wrong.
Cleo

Nathan and Phoebe
Phoebe curled up after a bath

No comments: