Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Happy National Novel Writing Month!

...or NaNoWriMo as the designers of the organization call it. Whatever you call it, I'm doing it. Writing a novel in a month. At least I'm giving it my best shot, and I'm so excited...make that terrified...no, excited. (There's a fine line between those two emotions, and I'm crossing it, jumping it and then jumping back again. It's kind of like jumping rope, double dutch fashion. And if I don't stop I won't have any energy left to write.)

Here's my plan --
It's a storyboard. A variation of an outline. I've got 12 blocks that make up the main scenes of my novel. Notice those last few blocks are a little sparse. They aren't as fleshed out as the earlier blocks because I have to leave room for my characters to speak to me. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. The blocks are easily movable so, as the story writes itself (which I'm counting on it doing :) I can move my write-ups around.

I may be unavailable for the next month -- I mean the goal is 50,000 words in 30 days. That's about 1700 words a day. I'm up to 700 today, only 1,000 to go before I put my head on the pillow tonight. No problem. It's doing it 7 days a week, including Thanksgiving day, that might be a problem. But, we're allowed to work ahead, so.... I CAN do this. Right?

We'll see. Now, what else can I do to procrastinate before getting back at it?

No comments: