Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Osama bin Laden is Gone

On the one hand...
"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that" -- Martin Luther King
On the other hand...

"I have never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure." -- a quote possibly (probably?) by Samuel Clemens / Mark Twain (Sounds like something he'd say.)

In my own words...

I've been trying to sort out how I feel. Actually, I've been trying to figure out how to articulate how I feel. Certainly I'm glad that further threat from Osama bin Laden is gone. But how can I possibly celebrate the death of an enemy when God clearly commands that we love our enemies? 

If bin Laden's death brings closure or comfort to the families of his victims, I'm glad for that. I only hope it  assists them in their healing.  I'm satisfied that justice is served. But then again..."Vengeance is mine, says the Lord." 

Of course, I'm grateful to the brave soldiers who courageously took on such a mission. They deserve praise and honor for doing their job well. I'm beyond glad that they came home safely.

I wish there were no wars, no evil people, no man-made tragedies. I wish that all people were good, and that all good people were nice. But that isn't the world we live in.

Osama bin Laden is dead. My heart is not glad, but it is impossible for me to follow that with, may he rest in peace.

3 comments:

Ellen Campbell said...

I think you have said it well...I too feel such difficulty in putting words to how I feel. I admire our men in uniform and our intelligence officers who work so diligently to pull off this mission. And while I somehow cannot rejoice in someone's death, I am relieved he is gone.

writing career said...

This article is really the one that I needed. I really learned a lot by reading the whole content. Thanks for this.

Unknown said...

Excellent. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the article lots whereas reading. Thanks once more for sharing.Stryker Hip Replacement Lawsuit