Sunday, May 22, 2011

And Still...The End is Near

So much kidding around about the prophecy that didn't come to fruition. One of my favorites was: I guess on Sunday when people feel really upset that the rapture didn't happen, we can't console them by saying, "Cheer up, it's not the end of the world." But my very favorite was a weather strip by a meteorologist. It had all the days of the week with forecasts and appropriate pictures: Monday chance of rain, Tuesday thunderstorms, Wednesday sunny... up to Saturday -- rapture (picture of people floating upward) -- chance of judgement.

But for all the joking (and I did my share) -- according to the Bible, the end will come...and after that judgement. It may be far off or may be soon. Way back in the year 66AD Paul was saying that Jesus would return soon. Preachers have been warning their parishioners for hundreds of years. And godly men, even if way off base, have been predicting dates and times for what seems like ever. It leaves many of us wondering what part of "No one knows the day or the hour," from Matthew 24 is unclear. And the Bible is clear on this: all of our days are numbered. This world is finite, all of its days are numbered.

Some are taking a chance that there is no eternal life; when you're dead, you're dead. Others are quite sure they'll spend everlasting life with God in heaven. Either way, you've got to have faith. Faith that this world is it, all there is. Faith that the world made itself, complete with flora and fauna. It formed all of its inhabitants out of next to nothing, which evolved into us, our pets, and all things that creep, crawl, walk, and fly.

Or you've got to have faith that someone had a plan and created it all. I only have enough faith to believe the latter. Faith became reality. When I confessed faith in a creator, He revealed himself to me. What started as blind faith became as real as real can be. I wish I could show that reality to everyone, but I can't. I can only encourage others to look and see. If you look for Him, he will be found. If you want to know Him, he will be known.

Amazing grace how sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost, but now am found
Was blind, but now I see.

Clearly this is the kind of post that belongs on my other website. But when Tom and I were doing yard work on Saturday: mowing , weeding, preparing a garden plot, cleaning the pool, sweeping the porches and walkway, assessing the overwhelming mess in the barn --old junk and worthless clutter covered with bat droppings and pigeon poo-- honestly, all I could think was, "I hope Harold Camping is right." I felt like my corner of the world was all dirty. I was really hoping for a new one. But alas it's not to be. Yet. So we continue cleaning up, caring for,  redeeming what we've got.

As it turns out, the place cleans up pretty nice...

1 comment:

Lisa Vella said...

Yes it does! Your home looks picture perfect! What a wonderful inspiring post, too! I better go post something myself as proof!