Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Failure and Success

I came across an interesting statement in the book Crazy Love, by Francis Chan. I've enjoyed and appreciated Chan's words of wisdom, but this quote isn't his, he is quoting Tim Kizziar, "Our greatest fear as individuals, and as a church, should not be fear of failure, but fear of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter."

I've been thinking about that all week. What in the world really matters? Well, what really matters isn't in this world. What really matters is eternity. But I live in this world here and now...passing through, so to speak...and there are a lot of things I need to take care of just because I'm here, now. I'll admit that I don't feel terribly successful. But add to that, while I'm doing the things I'm doing, now I have to wonder if those things matter. Am I afraid of failure? You betcha. But here's my new perspective, convoluted as it may be. It actually would be hugely successful to fail at things that don't matter. Just try...if it fails it probably didn't matter anyway.

I'm pretty sure that's nothing like what Tim Kizziar meant when he said, "Our greatest fear, as individuals or as a church, should not be fear of failure, but fear of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter."

Mondays swim count -- 16 guests. Tuesdays count -- 16 also, but not all at the same time, and only a few of the same people as Monday. Today it's cool but sunny, the water is sparkling and warm, I'm hoping for company.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Bets, as I've looked at the Sunday School class I'm "teaching" and there's only been a few people I've thought about how I'm failing. But then the Lord seemed to be saying to me that what I consider a personal failure doesn't matter as long as I'm doing what He leads and wants me to do.
By the way, thank you for the birthday card. I really appreciate your thoughtfulness.