Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Friday Nights

I've blogged before about "Steve&DeeNight". Our week goes like this Sunday night, Monday night, Tuesday night, Wednesday night, Thursday night, Steve&Dee night, Sat. and Sunday. For 28+ years we've been getting together with Steve and Dee for Bible Study/Accountability/Fun. I think it's always been on Friday night -- and yes, we have missed a night here and there. For instance, a few weeks ago Steve was in China and we missed two weeks in a row. He's back now, safe and sound, and we enjoyed looking at most of his pictures last Friday evening. Fabulous pix!
(These ones were "church" ready. Steve provides a welcome screen for Sunday mornings.)


Currently, the four of us are reading Philip Yancey's book The Jesus I Never Knew. I've dog-eared a bunch of pages because there are so many good things in this book. Today I was perusing the dog-eared pages and found a passage where Yancey says that Tolstoy raised his sights at a time when he was suffering the delayed effects of "biblical child abuse." (Isn't that an interesting turn of phrase!) About Tolstoy he says, "He was the first author who, for me, accomplished that most difficult of tasks, to make Good as believable and appealing as Evil."

Tolstoy, C.S. Lewis, George MacDonald, Madeleine L'Engle all have that magical gift of combining the supernatural with the divine. Giants of the faith, extraordinary authors, ordinary people. Need a good read? May I suggest The Hobbit by Tolstoy, The Great Divorce (for a quick read) or The Chronicles of Narnia by Lewis, The Baronet's Song by MacDonald, and A Wrinkle in Time by L'Engle. I've got all of those on my book shelf. You want to borrow one? Let me know.

No comments: