Monday, December 19, 2011

Happy Holidays!

There are a lot things to pick on in the world, but how you wish someone a happy holiday shouldn't be one of them. I applaud whoever wrote this...

Christmas is a very special time for me. I like the glitz and the holiday music. I like the presents, gathering together with family, the holiday foods, chestnuts roasting and stockings hung by the fire, and the cookies, I really like the cookies.  But I'm very aware that the trappings can distort and sully the meaning of the season. Sometimes I wish for a simpler Christmas celebration -- one where we don't exchange presents or prepare pageants. Then I remember that I love exchanging presents and those pageants...well they always help me see the reality of divine intervention. Kids who didn't know their parts, wouldn't speak up, pouted, fussed, carried on, suddenly become angelic presenters of the gospel. That's a miraculous happening in churches all over the world. It recurs every single year in the weeks and days before Christmas, children remembering their lines.

The best part about those pageants is that people who wouldn't otherwise grace the indoors of a church will watch, and laugh, and applaud the efforts of children. And who knows they might hear from God.

Isaiah 11:6 The wolf will live with the lamb, the leopard will lie down with the goat, the calf and the lion and the yearling together; and a little child will lead them.

1 comment:

neurologist nj said...

Nice and very informative. I am studying this problem and I must say that your article has helped me a lot.