Sunday, June 26, 2011

I Remember A Day When...

The grass was getting thick and green, buds were popping open turning into leaves, ferns were filling out beyond their frond stage, all of the plants and flowers were coming to life, greening up, and getting full and lush. It was all so beautiful and orderly.
 

nice tidy edges all around
I didn't notice the weeds so much. They were still little and insignificant, small enough to yank out when I was admiring the flower beds, pachysandra edge, hosta rows, or lines of lilies.

What happened?

A little sunshine and a lot of rain -- that's what happened. And boom. The weeds are big, full, and lush too. You should see the sumac trees sprouting where they ought not to be, and the dandelions, chickweed, and touch-me-nots. The virginia creeper and poison ivy are taking off like there's a race. And if we don't keep after them, they'll win.

Today there is no contest. I want to sit on the porch and enjoy the sights and sounds of a perfectly beautiful day. Let the weeds run rampant. I don't care.

weeds running rampant
Who am I kidding? I'm type A. Weeds -- and that overgrown look -- drive me crazy. I'm just going to have to get off my duff and go ask Tom to fix this for me.

No comments: