Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Renovations and Regeneration

We got our living room back in order just under the wire, right before the Henning family began arriving for the Cousins Reunion.
Backyard/pool side view of the living room
Front porch/yard view of the living room.
Picture above piano --our barn painted by dear friend Toni Jo Kidd
We're so happy with our home. Through the years we've added to and changed much, always hoping we've kept the character of old times while adding convenience and looks of present times.


As for the living room, we still have decisions to make...like where to put a television. I know, just don't. But the winters are long here in northwest PA and we do watch TV. I'd like to enjoy the coziness of a crackling fire while watching a movie or Downton Abbey, and so, this winter, I shall. As soon as I figure out how to put the set in this corner in a tasteful way, I shall. (We're open to suggestions.)

Posting pictures I'm more aware of details needing attention. I itch to dress up the walls and decorate the mantel. I'm also mindful how far behind I am posting less materialistic self-centered blogs. Should I write or should I do? 

Day by day my spirit soars at the joys of life all around me, or flags at the weight of injustice and pain surrounding us all. It's a battle, where my focus lingers -- on the good or on the evil. I don't turn a blind eye to either. I accept gratefully and relish the blessings lavished on me. I wince at hardships and sadness, my own and the world's. I want to do my part to right wrongs and trumpet hope, yet my desire too oft paralyzes me. So I shake it off, clean a room, work in the yard, call a friend, hope for company to come splash in the pool with me, or I write. That's what I do...and then my world is rosy once again.

May the favor of the Lord our God be upon us; establish the work of our hands for us-- yes, establish the work of our hands. Psalm 90:17

3 comments:

Ellen Campbell said...

Your last paragraph so resonates where I am now. I find I need to turn off the news at points and refocus my gaze and center my heart. You put it so well, Betsey. Is it the stage of lives and the age of our souls?O

Kristine Riddle said...

The room looks wonderful -- seems to have been well worth the temporary inconvenience. :)
I, too, can relate to your last paragraph. The world is filled with so much beauty, yet hardship and injustice also seem to be the norm. Reminds me of the sermon last Sunday; the weeds and the flowers growing up together, not just "out there" but inside me, too. I suppose I just need to do my best to bloom where I'm planted. :)

Betsy Henning said...

Ellen and Kristine, your words are comforting and encouraging. Thanks for taking time to comment.

Yes, Kristine, Sunday's message touched me deeply. Brian always inspires, giving us much to mull over and grow from! He's doing his part to make the world a better place and encouraging us to do the same. I'm very thankful for our pastor.