Sunday, September 29, 2013

May The Lord Bless You and Keep You

I love Sundays. Church fills me up and satisfies me for about a week. And then no matter how my week goes, great, terrible or so-so, by Sunday I can't wait to go back again.  It's great -- the people, the music, singing along, the liturgy, the sermon, and participating in communion. I love having communion every week. I surely wouldn't want to miss an opportunity to get more of God in me. Ever. Really, it's not enough until the bread and wine are served and the Pastor says: May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ and the gifts of his body and blood strengthen, keep and unite us, now and forever. Amen.
 
Then to celebrate after the feast, we sing:
 
Praise to you, O God of mercy; Thanks be to you forever!
Raising high the weak and lowly;Thanks be to you forever!
 
From of old you loved and sought us; Thanks be to you forever!
Truth and justice you have taught us; Thanks be to you forever!
 
Strong is your faithfulness, strong is your love, rememb'ring your covenant of life with us.
 
It makes me feel like dancing.  And then the blessing is pronounced, May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. May the Lord look on you with favor and grant you peace.  
 
Don't you love it? I do. I fell in love with that blessing from Numbers 6:24-26, more than 40 years ago when Tom and I attended a Lutheran church. Liked it so much, we used it in our wedding. No doubt that's why the marriage lasted these 43 years.
 


4 comments:

Kristine Riddle said...

First of all - love that picture! :) Also, I can't read this without singing the words from the liturgy. This post left me smiling - thanks.

Unknown said...

Love this post too sister! Just have to add that your big boys then sang that blessing as a duet at my wedding! How cool! :)
PS: Here comes your birthday....had to sneak that in!

Betsy Henning said...

Thanks, Kristine -- I love typing the words to liturgical songs. Soon I'll know all the words and won't have to use the book, just like the long time Lutherans do!

Betsy Henning said...

Joanie...I forgot about Nathan and Aaron singing that at your wedding. Thanks for reminding me it's a lovely memory. AND...Happy Belated Anniversary to you and Dave!