Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Is It Summer Yet?


Memorial Day is the beginning of summer...sort of. The calendar doesn't say so. Most schools are still in session. The weather is fickle: warm, cool, rainy, hot, cold, mild. Do you want to know what the weather is like today? Go outside and look up. The air tells the temp. That sky holds clues: rainy, cloudy, sunny or a mixture of all.



Regardless, I say summer has begun. The lawn wants to be mowed, fields cut, porches need a good scrubbing, flowers and gardens beg to be planted -- and we are on it. I borrowed a friend's power washer last week to clean black mold encroaching on cement around the pool. Wow, it worked just like a magic eraser. So of course I had to buy myself one. Now there's no stopping me. The white fence, the outdoor furniture, the wooden deck and porch, under the eaves...there's almost nothing can't be cleaned up, whitened or brightened.

Between outdoor work and swimming I've wakened muscle gone flaccid over winter. The Power Washer is amazing, but it takes a bit of human power to keep it on task. I'll be seeing my favorite chiropractor tomorrow, surely he'll fix me up. But first I'm going to finish everything that takes elbow grease with arm, shoulder, back and neck assist. Perhaps that's presuming on the powers of my good chiropractic doctor. If so, I'll pay for it twice over and I'll repent, promising never to do that again. A promise I'll probably forget as soon as the pain goes away.

Memorial weekend fun -- The zoo with grandkids, playing outdoors on the swings, looking for arrow heads in a freshly planted field, a picnic at son #3's new house, time with family and friends. Delightful. So much to appreciate, so many to love, our cups runneth over. But, I'm sorry to report, the turkey hunters came home empty handed, rubber decoys aside.


Instructions: "Papa said to be careful not to step on the plants, Nana. Just walk between the rows like this and look for arrowheads."

A lovely back deck for eating out!
We picnicked on absolutely delicious grilled chicken burgers,
salads, and angel food cake topped with strawberries and freshly whipped cream.
 Yum.
 Iris left by previous owners welcomes the new owners.

2 comments:

Kristine said...

Sounds like you had a well deserved weekend of fun after all your hard work. Great pictures, too!

Betsy Henning said...

Thanks, Kristine. We did have fun.

I should have noted that the picture of the deck and flowers, where we had a delicious picnic was at Adam and Alicia's new house.