Saturday, June 16, 2012

Peace Like a River

The weather has been absolutely perfect for canoeing and fishing...even if very few fish are biting, and the ones that do bite are too small. Still -- good times playing catch and release.


Reeling one in.

A pike. But...

He's not a keeper.

Other than the kerplunk of a fishing lure hitting the water and an occasional quiet comment from one of us humans, we're surrounded by nothing but the sounds of nature. Pleasant sounds, tweets, chirps, croaks, and the ga-lump of bull frogs... rustling of leaves and skittering noises of small critters in the brush along the creekbank -- calming, soothing, peaceful.

Peace like a river. I've got peace like a river...in my soul.

One of my favorite old preachers, long since gone to glory, had a favorite hymn, which I took on as my own favorite. I don't know if it's the words of the song or the tune that make it special to me. Or is it because of the dear gentleman who claimed it as his favorite -- and I want to love what he loved? I can still recall him pacing back and forth on the platform preaching his heart out. Those were the days before wireless mics. No matter, his voice boomed throughout the sanctuary. But his booming voice spoke words of knowledge, kind encouragement, gentle rebuke. And -- he called us beloved.

It warmed my heart then, it warms my heart now...as do the words of the hymn Like a River Glorious...

Like a river glorious is God's perfect peace.
Over all victorious in its bright increase.
Perfect yet it floweth, fuller every day;
Perfect yet it groweth deeper all the way.

Stayed upon Jehovah hearts are fully blest,
Finding as he promised,
Perfect peace and rest.


Perfect peace and rest.


Happiness is to be shared.
   

2 comments:

Sarah Rose said...

Love it. Long for peace so many times. You captured it well.

Betsy Henning said...

Thank you, Sarah. I neglected to mention the happy squeals we heard at first...coming from our own yard. Nothing so fun as the noise of kids in a swimming pool!