Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Dog Days

I just got an email of quotes about dogs. This is my Favorite:
The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.
-Andy Rooney

That tickled my funny bone. Earlier today I was thinking what a nice companion our dog is. She hangs out with me all day long, except for when I put her out and don't remember to bring her back in. When she's unhappy about that, she'll sit at the door and woof. Just a little "woof" every minute or so until I get the message. The thing is, I'm not a dog person. She doesn't get her due respect from me. But she doesn't seem to hold it against me. Our interaction is mostly, "Oh, you want out? Okay." Then I forget about her and...well...what I already said. I make sure her food and water bowls are full and pat her head occasionally. When she's bad I scold her. Bad means getting on the couch, begging while we eat, sneaking a snack off the table when no one's looking. We've never seen this happen, but food has been known to mysteriously disappear. I say, "Phoebe?" in a stern voice and she cowers, guilty as can be. So I put her out.

Still she likes me. I think Andy Rooney is right. My average dog is a nicer person than I am -- for sure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No -- your above-average (really, not average!) dog is certainly a nice person, but not more so than you!!! Couldn't happen.